Tuesday, April 22, 2008

It's Spring! Celebrities are ALL OVER New York!!

Celebrities were ALL OVER New York Monday, April 21—they just kept popping up everywhere.This morning at 11:30am I came out of the subway station at Columbus Circle and as I stopped at the red light on Eighth Ave. & 58th Street, I noticed a petite little blond standing to my left wearing a cute little red leather jacket and cap. It just happened to be Broadway dynamo Kristin Chenoweth. As we both stood there waiting for the light to change, I said “Are you Kristin?” She gave me that big smile and said in a chirpy little voice, “Yes I am…who are you?” I introduced myself and informed her that we had a friend in common from her home state of Oklahoma…Rosemary Martinez (now Baker), a drama teacher who I became friends with because she’s brought groups of high school students to New York for over a decade and I’m always her favorite guide. Rosemary has spoken for years about her former close friendship with Kristin (she calls her Kristi—her real name is Kristi Dawn Chenoweth. “Kristin” was dreamed up by her agent to sound classier). Kristin’s eyes got huge and said…”Oh my gosh, what a small world…I was just thinking about her and her recent marriage and how I’ve got to send her a gift!” I said yes she finally married Randy Baker, a fellow teacher and they are building a new house in Oklahoma City and are very happy.” Kristin and I continued to walk and talk down Eighth Avenue for several blocks, chatting like old friends, about people we knew in common. I reminded her that I had met her ever-so-briefly years ago before she was famous and followed her career and seen most of her shows since she’d been in New York, at Rosemary’s insistence. She always said Kristi was going to be famous and she was right. When Kristin first moved to New York, she helped out my friend Cheryl (along with Rosemary) at School Tours of America, running around picking up tickets, kids, running errands, etc. and going on auditions. I remembered when Kristin was in the Broadway shows STEEL PIER, YOU’RE A GOOD MAN CHARLIE BROWN, and of course WICKED, the show that launched her into stardom. I asked Kristin if she was still a Republican and isn’t that hard in showbiz when SO many people are Democrats. She said “Yes, I am and it’s so hard…you just can’t talk about politics with most actors because they are all Democrats and can only see one side of any issue.” After another block, we each turned our own way and said goodbye…another great New York moment. As columnist Cindy Adams would say: “Only in New York!”
Later in the day I was in Greenwich Village near the building used on the TV show FRIENDS and spotted a movie shooting in the streets. Julia Roberts was starring in a new film with the working title “DUPLICITY” and there she was on Bedford Street shooting a scene. They are currently filming at least six major Hollywood movies around New York right now including Isla Fisher in CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC. Meryl Streep just finished filming DOUBT, playing a nun that suspects a priest is seducing children (based on the 2004 hit Broadway play).
Later I met my friend David for dinner in Chelsea and I could barely make it into David’s apartment building without getting shouted at by a crew member from a movie shooting IN FRONT of the building called “JULIE AND JULIA” about Julia Child. There were the stars: Meryl Streep and Amy Adams, all made up and filming a simple scene at the wine store at Seventh Ave. and West 20th Street. What a crowd it takes to film a simple scene…no wonder movies cost so much to make. And it was during Monday evening Rush Hour! I once filmed a small scene with Meryl Streep in the movie SHE-DEVIL and she’s a lovely, warm person…a total professional. I had met Meryl years before when I was a teenager and Meryl was appearing in the Broadway musical THE HAPPY END…I was backstage visiting an older actress friend and met Meryl and SHE REMEMBERED…(or said she did).
Ahhh….Spring in New York….when everything blooms and the warm weather brings Hollywood back to the Big Apple!

No comments: