Thursday, March 6, 2008

Had an audition for a new show for the History Channel called "Skywalkers"....my friend Mike called me and told me there was a posting on the internet for this show that just sounded like ME, so I looked up the posting, which had a woman's name: Emma, her email and her phone number attached. I contacted her and after attempting to meet for several days, it finally worked out.
Here's the description which I answered from the online posting:

An exciting new History show called, Skywalkers (WT) is looking for a host who has a passion and genuine interest in iconic buildings. The show will look at the science and engineering of iconic buildings. The host will take us to places that other programs wouldn’t go, i.e. scaling the side of a skyscraper in a window cleaning basket, inside elevator shafts, on the roof, in ventilation shafts etc, in order to get the viewer to really understand how the building was made. They will also look into what crucial technological advances were necessary at the time to enable to building to be made, e.g. development of a particularly strong type of steel, or glass, or a new approach to architecture. The host will have an enquiring mind, and ask the right questions to keep the viewer educated and interested. Here's the kind of person we are thinking of. We are looking for a guy in his 30s, poss 40s, who is either used to working at heights (construction worker, window washer, roof top landscape gardener, for example) or would be comfortable doing so. The idea being to have a host who's not necessarily an expert on the buildings but who has a genuine interest and asks the right questions so that the audience can learn at the same time as he does. So not just the way they look, but the science, engineering and technology that went into creating the structures. Someone who is down to earth, can laugh at himself, enthusiastic, and fearless. It's not necessary to have done TV work before although comfort with the camera obviously helps.
Location : New York; Contact Emma, etc.

Well, I thought I gave a fabulous audition...she wanted to be up high preferably so I took Emma and the camera up to the top of a building overlooking Rockefeller Center and she shot me with St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rock Center's Roof Gardens, etc. over my shoulder. I just burbled on for about 10 minutes yakking about St. Pat's, basic NYC history stuff, posed a couple of questions about Rock Center's construction, blah blah blah. Now it's in the hands of the Gods...we shall see if I'm what the history channel is looking for. Emma told me she's seen quite a few people and put them all on film...including a (retired) New York City firefighter who took her up to the roof of a building and talked about the construction, etc. She says they don't want "experts" ...they just want "real people" who have a little on-camera experience to explore, pose questions to experts and open and close the show, etc.
This is something I'd really, really like, so of course I won't get it! Always the way!

No comments: